Digital Storytimes: Digital Media and its role in Library Programming for Young Children
Competency: Children’s Services
Sub-Category: Provides digital services and spaces appropriate to the developmental needs of children
75% of US households consume digital media. An overwhelming majority of toddlers and preschoolers are already using tablets and touch screens.
This interactive and informative webinar will provide an overview of digital media options that support and develop literacy and child development. We will also review current research and professional recommendations for the use of digital media both by and with children.
Attendees will learn:
• What digital storytime is and how we define the role of digital media in youth librarianship
• Current Research Summary/Overview
• Familiarity with The Technology and Interactive Media as Tools in Early Childhood Programs Serving Children from Birth through Age 8 policy statement
• AAP Screen Time Recommendations
• How to Support and Model Joint Media Engagement ie- be media mentors/guides